March 30, 2015
This Tuesday I'm doing 'Book of the Week', inspired by Sophie, from The Techno Maid.
She's just redesigned her blog and I am almost jealous of how amazing it looks! She's certainly gotten very talented with blog designing.
You should head over there and tell her I said hello :)
Title:
Mystic City (book 1)
Author:
Theo Lawrence
Rating:
5/5
Genre:
Fantasy
Summary:
Manhattan lies underwater.
The corrupt rulers of this new city live high above the flood and survive by channeling the energy of the mystics - a magic-wielding underclass who are forced to live amongst the poor in the squalor of the Depths.
High in the Aeries, Aria Rose's fiance has promised that their marriage will unite two of the city's ruling dynasties. But the gaps in Aria's memory tell her that this romance isn't all it seems - and the appearance of Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic and passionate revolutionary, is about to change the course of her life forever.
(two of many) Favourite Quotes:
"Aria, show me that smile!" one of them holloers. "You're gorgeous!"
"What am I, chopped liver?" Kiki hollers back.
"Remember when you asked me at the carnival where I lived? Welcome to my humble abode, Ms. Rose," he says, bowing like an actor at the end of a play.
Thoughts:
Remember last week I had this book for my 'Currently Reading' post?
Weeeeell... that Thursday I completely finished it. You know, I just had a few spare hours and put them to very good use :P
I loved this book. It was well written, had gorgeous characters (like Hunter. Oh my. Talk about ah-maze-ing ;) ), had a compelling plot that kept me guessing the whole time, and was just exciting. Different, too. I like how it was sort of based in the real world, but then there's the fantasy of the Mystics.
I don't know, there's just something about the word 'Mystic' that I absolutely love. It's enchanting.
I was looking through Taylor Davis' new album and clicked one her song 'Mystic Forest' straight away just because I absolutely love the name (need I say that I bought the song?). Maybe I'm crazy. I don't know. I just love the word.
I definitely recommend this book to any fantasy/romance/mystery book lover. Any girl really! I did like the fact that it was really cute and romantic, but it didn't go much beyond kissing. Quite the relief - as most books these days are filled with unnecessary and undesirable romance scenes.
Lucky for me - the story doesn't end at this one book! It's part of a series. Honestly, I was getting sick of borrowing a book and then having to read the rest of the series to finish the story, as it happens all the time, but I enjoyed this one enough to be excited for the next books. Hopefully the library will have them ready for me soon!
Have you heard of Mystic City before? What do you think of the name - are you as enchanted as I am? What books have you read recently that you enjoyed?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Thank you so much! I'm really proud of my blog design. It took a while to put together, but it was worth it.
ReplyDeleteI love your new tagline in your header.
It's certain now, I have to read this book. Thanks so much for the recommendation.
That's ok, Sophie! I was simply astounded when I clicked into your blog - it's just so gorgeous.
DeleteGlad you're going to read the book - I certainly enjoyed it.
Charlie xxx