I've been writing a novel each year for National Novel Writing Month for about 4 or 5 years now, and I'm already psyched up for this November! I'm rewriting a novel that I've been in the middle of for around 2 years now. I started planning (already) a few weeks ago and I realised how important it is to have effective resources.
I have rather a collection of useful websites and books and resources now, so I thought I'd compile them all together into a big list. Because writing is hard, and sometimes we need all the help we can get!{Websites:}
She's Novel
This is by far the best writing help website I've EVER found. Kristen has an absolute ton of help and inspiration for writing including printables, ecourses, ebooks and blog posts. She has a great many downloadable worksheets for planning, writing and editing. I would recommend this post especially - { http://www.shesnovel.com/blog/write-stronger-characters } for planning your characters. I went through her list of 33 things and answered each point like a question. I found out a lot more about my character through this, and it's so, so important to do that!
Gossiping with Dragons
This blog is great if you want to get a bit of a look into another writer's life, while learning a lot of valuable knowledge. It's the perfect place to stop by for a break during your writing to have a breather! Imogen has created quite a lovely little community over there with her discussions and questions.
This will come as no surprise to the people who know me well! When you need inspiration; look no further than Pinterest. Looking through the images there gets me so excited and feeling incredibly creative. So many of my ideas have been thought of while scrolling through Pinterest.
These are some of my favourite writing inspiration boards:
Writing Inspiration
Characters
Once Upon a Time
Inspiration
FC
Writing | Inspiration
Gloriously
{Books:}
Honestly, if you're looking for any kind of inspiration or novel help any book will help you out. Your favourite novel or a nonfiction about World War II - whatever takes your fancy or is relevant. However, this is a favourite of mine:
Fast Fiction by Denise Jaden
This book takes you through planning your novel for NaNoWriMo, and then leads you right through the whole 30 days. You have a prompt for each and every day to keep you going through the month, so you don't forget to have a certain stage or component to your story!
{Places:}
The Library
Surprise! (not). When in doubt, go to the library, as Hermione says! And how true. There are books specifically for writing, inspiring novels and books about subjects that you'll need to cover in your story. You've gotta know your stuff, so head to the library, girl!
A Park
Take a break from your writing to recharge your creative battery by taking a walk. You can go anywhere - but a good idea is often to take your notebook and sit down at a park nearby. You'll benefit from the fresh air and get a clearer head. The real world is sometimes the best help you can get for writing - simply sit outside and observe the people, the birds, the trees... watch how the world works! Even the simplest things.
Tag this page so that you can return to it and find some juicy writing goodness when you need to. Happy writing!
Charlie xx





No comments:
Post a Comment